Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Break Down

My lawn mower broke down in the middle of mowing yesterday. I tried to fix it but it was getting dark and harder to see. I had to give up. I then proceeded to think about how I have two mowers that are both broke down, a car in the driveway that's broke down and if you could believe it or not, I broke down. It was like I blew a gasget. I started swearing at the lawn mower. Swearing! I barely ever swear. I made sure to slam the door on my way in and then started to complain to my wife about everything that is going wrong with the vehicle and the lawn mowers. I was surely in the pit all night. I called a friend later last night to get his address and started to talk to him about what I was frustrated with.

Here's the funny thing. All night, when I wanted to have my own pity party, about all the things that were going wrong. It was like the Lord kept reminding me of my wife. How could I really have it that bad when I have Eve. Like the stubborn Judy man that I am, I continued to force the pity upon myself even though I didn't have a leg to stand on but I did ruin what could have been a great night with my wife. I could have enjoyed conversation being guilt free from how long the lawn was because the mower was broken. I had an excuse to spend more time with Eve and I squandered it in unearned self pity.

Just goes to show ya.

2 comments:

  1. Adam, my dear stubborn husband, I am going to quote Clarence from 'It's a Wonderful Life' here: "Dear Adam, remember, no man is a failure who has friends."
    I love you.
    I am glad the David Funk is subsiding.
    You've got a friend in me. Sing that song today:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I understand what you are saying about it being a waste of your time...don't be so hard on yourself. It is okay to get frustrated. It made you stop and appreciate what you do have, so that can't be a bad thing:)

    ReplyDelete