Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Hospitality!

Hospitality
To invite someone into your home is to invite them into your life.
This picture is a picture of my grandparents. I think the world of my Grandpa and Grandma. My Grandpa passed away a couple of years back and my Grandma still lives in the Winona area. If hospitality had a name it would be Charlie and Eleanor Judy. My Grandpa use to tell me stories of when they lived in South Dakota. If there was anyone in need, they knew they could go to their home and they would help as best they could. The Native American culture in that area was devastated by alcohol. There were many times that my Grandpa would find them passed out in the ditch. He would pick them up and take them home. My Grandma would make sure that they had something to eat and that they had a place to stay if they had to. There were many stories of when they would just show up at Grandma and Grandpa's door for food and shelter.

I remember when I visited my Grandpa one of the last times in the hospital. I was concerned with his salvation. At the time I was caught up in works and naively thought that if someone didn't go to church, then they weren't saved. I remember asking my Grandpa if he believed in Jesus and had accepted what He did for him. He looked at me and said, "The Good Lord has been with me for a long time, Adam"

My wife and I just finished a stretch of time where we had many people staying at our home. We shared meals together. We shared laughter, anger and sadness. I think about Jesus and the ministry He had for others. In fact, even now, I recall very few times where Jesus was ministering to people in the temple and many times where He was at the table. Jesus lived a life of meeting the needs of those around Him. Food and Friendship.

How have we confused this with services and sermons? My Grandpa had a relationship with Jesus. Not by his extensive knowledge in scripture or his faithfulness to a denomination but his willingness to not turn away the hungry, naked or homeless. He cared for the stranger. He in no way was perfect but understood the needs of those around him and desired to meet that need. I thought that I had it down what it was like to have a relationship with Jesus but I am finding myself starting all over again. It's much sweeter this time!

2 comments:

  1. You know, I think you are right, "we are throw-backs born in the wrong generation." The way that I felt walking into Gma and Gpa Judy's house for the first time was the same way I felt walking into Gma and Gpa Hoff's house. At home. I love, that that is what our home is turning into for those who come to visit us. And I know that no matter where we go next, it will be the same way. I love you and I am very proud of your posting here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless ya, Bro and your Beautamous Grandparents: Charlie and Eleanor Judy! Right on, Brotha!

    ReplyDelete